Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Grandma's Geraniums

As the season quickly changes and winter begins to creep in, we have developed certain seasonal rituals. We keep our bird feeder full of seed, we roll up the hoses, and we move our geraniums in every night and out every morning. Before long, we will be moving them inside full time to protect them from the freezing cold and snow.

They are two big red geraniums and of all our plants, they are special. I got them almost three years ago at my grandmother's funeral and they remind me of her. I have hauled them from Missouri to Nebraska to Texas. They have endured bitter cold and scorching heat. They have almost died several times but we have babied them back to health. Right now, they are blooming and beautiful and they remind me of her.

We grew up near my maternal grandmother, and I have so many memories of grandma's house, sweetened tea, walking to the movies, bacon sandwiches, ice frozen in big coffee cans, Mountain Dew in bottles and geraniums. Grandma always had the most beautiful geraniums, great big ones, pink ones, white ones and of course, red ones. She kept them well tended and I never see or smell a geranium without thinking of her.

My grandma was always a good lady---but she did not become a Christian until later in life, sometime around age 80. She loved her family and even when she was unwell, she wanted to be where family was. She was an avid letter writer and kept up with extended family no matter how far away. She was well-loved. At her funeral, I watched and listened as those who loved her came to say goodbye. There were many many kind words, many remembered and cherished stories and many reflections on Grandma's character. We talked about how much my Grandma loved others and how strong she was and how she always had her fingernails painted. But, the one comment I heard again and again was , "she never said anything bad about anyone else". So many said it that it had to be true. I searched my memory and like the others could not find one time when this woman had made disparaging comments about another. WOW!!! I was humbled by that testimony to her character, what a witness for the Lord!!!!

So now, everyday when I see these geraniums and I tend them and feed them and water them, they remind me of grandma and the kind of woman I want to be. I loved my grandma, and in fact, am named after her. But, I want to be like her in more than just name, I want to be kind, gentle, merciful and I want to say kind things. The geraniums remind me of the legacy of Geneva Ellen Harvey---a legacy to which I aspire. I know her character as well as her geraniums took some care, she fed them and watered them, she exposed them to the light and she broke off the dead parts. And because she did that, they grew and bloomed and spread. For me, these flowers remind me that I need to get my sustenance from God's Word, I need to be exposed to the Light and I need to cut away the old dead Neva that still wants to sin sometimes. If I do this, I will bloom and grow and spread. And I will be able to bless others. The geraniums are a reminder.

Ephesians 4:29-- "Do not let any unwholesome word come out of your mouth . . . "

Growing like grandma's geraniums,
Neva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home