Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Monday, December 18, 2006

The Love of a Child

Last Friday, Ned and I said goodby to our dear friend. Occasionally we attend a funeral and feel blessed or inspired by the message or the music. We left this place both inspired and moved, not because of the message nor the music. But because of a lesson learned at the feet of a child.
Our friend, Ted had two grandchildren. The oldest son, a four year old named Zeik came into their lives just a couple of years ago. Ted loved this boy and accepted his role as grandfather with relish. Zeik is a thoughtful, smart and insightful child. He often told his grandpa and grandma how glad he was to finally have a family. He frequently came with them to church and it was evident to all that he and his grandpa shared a mutual admiration. I taught Zeik in my Sunday School class and he hungrily absorbed information, learning anything and everything we put before him. He was such a pleasure to teach. Last Friday, our roles were reversed. Without knowledge or intent, this tiny little "man" touched my heart and taught me a lesson about love.
Zeik is a very cute little boy, with the blonde hair and big eyes and that little bit of impishness that endears him to young and old alike. The elderly love him as do the teens. On Friday, after the service, Zeik walked by me as I chatted with some of the young people. One of them tried to speak with him and normally, this child would have stopped to play, but not that day. With all seriousness and focus, a determined look on his face, he replied, "not now, I have to go say goodbye to my grandpa one more time." And on he walked and with purpose in his little stride, he marched up to the front of the auditorium where just a few minutes earlier, the casket cradling his grandfather had been. Noticing it missing, he asked Ned where his grandpa was. Ned told him they had already taken it to the car. Zeik looked sad for a moment and then said, "Okay then I will just look at his flowers." For quite awhile, this little four year old walked around the many flowers, looking at each one, touching some, as if trying to be closer to his grandpa.
After a few minutes passed, he walked to the front door. Looking out and seeing the hearse had already pulled away, he picked up a funeral program. He looked at it for quite some time, carried it over by the table where numerous pictures of his grandpa were displayed. He asked a man nearby to read the program to him. I watched as this man knelt down on one knee, Zeik put a hand on his shoulder and listened intently as the man read the details of his grandpa's life.
I am crying as I share this story with you. Little Zeik, in his grief, taught me so much. His unswerving devotion to his grandpa, his resolute focus and his ability to shut out all the goings on around him are examples to all of us. I was and still am amazed. At only four years old, we wonder how much of the situation he grasped. Another four year old would be confused, clinging to his parents or grandma, worried at all the weeping. Another four year old might run and play with the other kids, childishly unaware of the somber situation. Another four year old might have acted out trying to refocuse the attention of all the adults. Another four year old might have asked questions and not understanding the answers continued on with the work of a four year old. But not Zeik. This little man didnt seem to care who was there and who wasn't. He didnt seem to notice that anyone else was there. He wanted more than anything to say good by to his grandpa. His love for his grandpa and his behaviors on such a sad and confusing day are a true tribute.
How wonderful it would be if we as adults could be so unswervingly devoted, if we could so resolutely shut out all the chaos around us and truly, truly show our love. How wonderful it would be if there were a little Zeik in each of us.

Neva

Matthew 19:13-14
"Then little children were brought to Jesus for Him to place His hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

5 Comments:

Blogger Larissa said...

That was sad!!!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

I got all teary eyed again! What a great little guy.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had me sobbing

Love ya
Rita

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice to be so innocent and sincere about the death of our Lord?

Eileen

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop making me cry, woman

ned

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home