Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Big Brother

Having grown up in the church, I heard countless sermons from Luke 15---the story of the prodigal son. I am sure you have too. We know the youngest son asked for his inheritance and went to a far away country and squandered it. We know when his money ran out so did his friends. He became desperate and returned home, ashamed and penitent. We know his Father was watching for him and upon his return, ran to greet him and threw a great party in his honor. While most of the focus was on the prodigal, some of the sermons focused on the anger of the big brother. He was angry that his brother had disrespected the family, when he had, all his life, been exemplary. He was angry that his brother was the guest of honor at this extravagant party when he had been obediently working, and had in his mind, received no recognition or praise for his diligence. The story ends when he is gently rebuked by his father and reminded that his brother was lost and now is found.
We know we are the prodigal. We know we have lived sinfully and have squandered our relationship with God. But we have come home---and the Father sees that as cause for celebration. We, too have a big brother---Jesus. Can you imagine if He'd been angry at our return. Can you imagine if He'd said--"Father, I have always done what you wanted. I have not disrespected your name. I have not lived a life that would cause you shame. I have not degraded myself. I have not been disobedient. I have worked hard for you. And here is this brother/sister of mine. They have turned their back on you. They have dragged our name through the mud and have wallowed with the pigs. They have acted disgracefully. How can you welcome them home? How can you just forget what they have done? How can they ever make up for this?" Can you even imagine? I am so grateful our Big Brother shares the mindset of our Father. I am so glad He rejoices when we come home. I am thankful He loves us too. That kind of love makes coming Home so much easier. We were lost and now we are found. We have been welcomed home by a Father and a Big Brother who both love us!!!!!!

Neva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home