Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Consequences

I have often thought if I could go back and raise my boys again, I would do more teaching about consequences. Every choice we make, good or bad, has conseequences. Every action we take also has consequences, even accidents. For instance, if I spill my milk at breakfast, the consequence is that there may be no more milk, I have to clean it up, I may have to change my clothes if some spilled over and at the very least, it costs me some time.
Consequences and punishment are not the same thing. In Deuteronomy 32 at the end of the chapter, God is talking to Moses about the end of the leader's life. He (God) tells Moses that although he has been leading the children of the Israel for about 40 years, leading them, guiding them, encouraging them with talk of the Promised Land, he (Moses) will only see the land from a distance. God tells Moses that this is a consequence of Moses breaking faith with God in the presence of the Israelites and not "upholding His holiness". When Moses made a choice to strike the rock at Kadesh, rather than speak to it as God commanded, he set himself up to pay a consequence. God said that choice showed that Moses did not trust in Him enough to honor Him as holy in the sight of the Israelites.
Now imagine spending the greater part of your life leading a rebellious people, living with them through the plagues and the chase of the Egyptians, the parting of the Red Sea, disciplining them when they formed the golden calf, relaying the words spoken directly to you by God on a mt, all the time encouraging them with hope of the promised land and then you, yourself not making it to the reward. I am sure that would seem like punishment. But, punishment is meant to teach, to bring about a change of action, to encourage obedience. Even the final punishment of hell teaches regret and we are told every knee will bow, and all will call on the name of the Lord. They will see the recklessness of their ways but it will be too late. The residents of hell will be eternally unforgiven. That is their punishment.
While Moses had to suffer consequences, we know that God forgave him. In Matthew 17, during the transfiguration, who is with Jesus? Moses and Elijah. He is with them when God's voice admonishes the disciples to listen to Jesus. When Christians sin, the blood of Jesus takes away our punishment, but we are still required to take care of the consequences. I think too many times, we believe when our sins are washed away, so are all the consequences. That is not true!!! If I engaged in sexually inappropriate behaviors and contracted HIV or an STD, even when I repent and have my sins washed away, I still have the disease--a consequence of my choices. If I am a poor steward of the financial blessings I have received, and I repent and make every effort to be fiscally responsible, the act of repentance has no effect on my low credit score.
Consequences are a part of our every day choices and they are how we learn to make better choices. We must act carefully and thoughtfully lest our actions cost more than we can afford. While we pay the price for our consequences, we can be grateful that our Savior paid the price for our salvation and while consequences are temporary, salvation is eternal.

Careful of the consquences
Neva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home