Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Detox

When I used to work in the psych unit, we often had patients who were intoxicated with either drugs or alcohol and as a result were dangerous to themselves or others. They came into the unit and before we could work on other issues, we had to detox them. The detox protocol included checking their vitals every few hours and administering medications. It also included keeping them secluded from the world. They had no means to get another fix. We monitored their diets, their sleep and their medications. Before long, they were able to attend groups where they learned why they use alcohol and drugs and some healthy hints to help avoid them in the future. During their stay they are focused only on their problems and the world is shut out.
In Biblical times, prophets and people of God spent time in prayer and fasting. I have often wondered if that time was similar to a detox. Were they detoxing from the world. During that time they were away from the world and all its cares. They were feeding on the Word of God and they were checking their spiritual vital signs. They were examining their progress and deciding on ways to avoid sin in the future. It sounds similar doesn't it?
Given the intoxicating quality of sin, the damage it does to us and those around us and its ready availability, perhaps we need an occasional detox. Maybe we need to make it our habit to frequently detox from sin---to spend some time in prayer and fasting, renewing our minds, our spirits and our commitment to God.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Do not cast me away from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."
Psalm 51:10-12

Neva

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neva, we both liked your blogsite. The correlation between detox and "in the desert" time is one I've considered too. We all need to refuel and take a fresh look.
Yvonne S. and Nirene K.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neva,
Great annology! Even God's Son was led by the Spitit to spend 40 days and nights in the wilderness fasting (detoxing). After facing the tempter face to face, the angels came and tended Him. How comforting is that!!!!!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home