Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Standing In The Gap

I have watched with interest the hullabaloo over Senator John Kerry's comments regarding our troops in Iraq. For those who don't know he basically said if one was smart and educated they would get far in this country if not they would be stuck in Iraq. I am not going to turn this into a political blog although I am sure they also have their place. I just want to say a couple of things. Regardless of how we feel about the war, we are there, we have men and women there doing their job. That's right, it is their job!! They are doing what their superiors tell them to do. They don't have to agree with their assignments, they just have to do them. The administration of this country has decided we should fight this war and the soldiers there are carrying out that decision.
That said, I also believe it is time we as Christians fight for what we believe in. So often we dont want to be perceived at fanatics and so we let the opinions of others make decisions that affect us. There are things that are non-issues and therefore not worth fighting for, but there are also things that are inherent to our faith, core beliefs and those things we should fight for. We believe in the holiness of God, the deity of the Spirit and the saving power of Messiah. We believe that children are a gift from God and should be protected, sheltered and cared for. We believe in the sanctity of marriage. We believe there are certain ways to treat others and there are ways that are not acceptable to us or to God. We believe He gives life and He takes life. We believe that we only have hope in Him. These things we believe and these things we fight for. Just as the soldiers in Iraq are doing the bidding of their bosses, so we are to do what our "boss" (master)says. We are to fight for what is right and what is true.
One of my very favorite people in the whole world, Tom Washburn, once did a lesson out of Ezekiel 22. I was moved by his lesson especially his emphasis on vs. 30 "I looked for one among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it but I found none." What a powerful verse. Tom ended his lesson with the statement that perhaps it is time someone stands in the gap on behalf of the land. This is truly what its all about---fighting for what we believe in---standing in the gap so that God will not have to destroy this land.

Neva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home