Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Mothers

I am spending the weekend with two of my five grandchildren in Lubbock. I shared a room with Madi last night. We did not sleep. She was restless all night long and at age 4 she could voice what was wrong. She had bad dreams, did not feel well and wanted her mother.

I recently saw an interview wherein the woman said if you look up the word "mother" in the dictionary you will find it is a verb first and then a noun. I thought that was very very interesting. That nurturing, caring, protecting part of us is what makes us mothers. From the time our children are born, they want their mothers, even when daddies are involved and loving and nurturing also. When we don't feel well or have bad dreams, we want our mothers. I also think it is interesting that fathers have God as an example of what fathers are to be. There is not an example of mothers because God made mothering, the verb, inherent in mothers, the noun.
I know there are some who have repressed the mothering emotion and that makes me incredibly sad. I also know that there are many women who do not have children. But, most of them mother something else, either pets or men, or parents, or something.

Last night, I could offer Madi nothing that would make her happy. She only wanted her mother and nothing else would do. Even though I am a mother and my lap rocks and my arms hug, I am not her mother and was therefore not adequate. Likewise, when I am hurt or upset, I want my mother. She lives far away but the phone works and with new calling plans, she is readily available, as I am to my children and when they need me, I do my best to get there, to offer support, encouragement and nurturing. I am so grateful for a Christian mother who comforts and nurtures me just like Larissa comforted and nurtured Madi last night. When I want my mom, everyone else is inadequate.

What a great responsibility and awesome privilege it is to be a mother. I am so thankful that God instinlled in me "mother".

Neva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home