Dancing in the Light

I John 1:7 "If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, cleanses us from all sin."

Name:
Location: North Platte, Nebraska, United States

I am a christian wife, mother and grandmother. I am a licensed Social worker and a licensed Christian counselor. I am most proud of the relationships I have with God, my family and friends all over the world. I have been blessed beyond my dreams.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Act of Living

A few weeks ago I went to Nebraska to speak. The road I took had been a part of many journeys from Texas to Nebraska and back. I knew exactly where gas would be the cheapest, where the best bathrooms were and which McDonalds had the best french fries--knowledge gained over the past 8 years and hundreds of trips. This time, I was amazed how quickly the six hour trip passed. I didn't remember passing any of the familiar landmarks. I was at my destination before I knew it. I think I was on autopilot. While that made the trip go quickly, it occurred to me that perhaps I'd missed out on some beautiful scenery, perhaps I'd been an unsafe driver, perhaps I'd passed up someone in need. Although I made the trip, apparently I was not present.
I began to wonder how often we go through our daily lives on autopilot. I think there are many things we do because of habit. And as our lives become more and more hectic, we become more and more habitual, even ritualistic. We go to work, not noticing the scenery around us. We take our kids to school functions and sit and stare off into space, not noticing the way our child looks into the stands searching for approval on our faces. We go to worship and sing our three songs, bow our heads to pray and stare at the minister as he preaches God's Word. And we leave, smiling politely and shaking hands of our brothers and sisters, without noticing who is not there that morning, or the sadness in a sister's face. And worst of all, we don't notice the workings of the Spirit, and the blessings flowing over us as our Father is glorified. We don't appreciate the sacrifice made for us as we take communion. We are on perpetual autopilot and robbing ourselves of so many blessings.
Because I know this life is but a breath and there will come a time when I will have no more chances, I am trying to make a concerted effort to be in the present---to really live---to be an active participant in life. My prayer is that you will do the same. I know we will be blessed.

Ephesians 5:15 & 16
"Be very careful then how you live---not as unwise but wise making the most of every opportunity. . . "

Neva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home